Email

GrabaforkNY@gmail.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Attempt at Cake Decorating #2




After my first attempt at cake decorating, my best friend was so impressed (and most likely just wanted to flatter me) that she asked me to make a cake for her birthday. After much hesitation, and nightmares from my first 10 hour experience, I decided to accept the challenge. Instead of using cake mix, I decided to use a basic yellow cake recipe since I would not be coloring the inside. I made the cake using a 5'' and 6'' round cake mold. I rolled out white fondant and covered each later separately. *Use a thin strip of colored fondant to cover up any mistakes between the layers.



To make the bow, I gained a bit of help from my old, trustworthy pal YouTube. I colored the white fondant pink with gel based color and rolled it out into a long rectangular sheet. I cut out 16 one-inch strips and folded 14 of the strips to make loops and let them dry. The last two strips I cut out to look like the end of the ribbon. To assemble the ribbon, mound a small amount of frosting a bit off center on the cake. Attach the two flat ribbons in place so they dangle off the side of the top layer. Place another dollop of frosting on top of the flat ribbons. Attach 7 of the loops in a circle using the frosting as glue. To make the bow look realistic, turn some of the loops on to their sides. For the second layer of the bow, use 6 loops and layer them on top of the original ones. *Make sure to alternate the direction of the loop to be opposite of the one it's laying on top of. Finally, top the bow with the last ribbon. TA-DA!

No comments:

Post a Comment