Email

GrabaforkNY@gmail.com

Thursday, June 26, 2014

My "Go-To" Simple Roast Chicken


I always like to have a few "go-to" recipes under my belt that are simple and classic. Who doesn't love a roast chicken? I will admit, I get lazy from time to time and buy the rotisserie chicken from the supermarket, but it just isn't the same. I have found most times the super market chicken is overly salted and dried out by the time I go to eat it.

I love giving this recipe to friends who are just starting to cook (especially for a home-cooked date night) because it is easy yet very impressive. I'm pretty sure this is one of the first meals I cooked for my fiancé, and I distinctly remember him saying it was the sole reason he decided to give the relationship a try. OK, maybe not the sole reason, but it definitely didn't hurt.

Again, this recipe can be adjusted for your specific taste. Use your favorite herbs and seasoning to tailor it for your personal taste. Serve over your favorite roasted vegetables.

Ingredients:

1 (5 to 6 lb) roasting chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprica
1 bunch herbs (I used the small mixed packet of herbs from the grocery store)
1 small onion, quartered
half head of garlic
1 lemon, halved



1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Remove chicken giblets and rinse the chicken inside and out. Pat dry.
2. Drizzle olive oil all over chicken and rub it in, making sure to get some of the olive oil under the skin. *To get under the skin loosed the area between the breast and skin with your finger to create a pocket.
3. Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika in a small bowl. Liberally coat the chicken with spice mixture.
4. Stuff the inside of the chicken cavity with herbs, onion, garlic and lemon. You may tie the legs together with twine in available. (I did not have any at the time).
5. Roast chicken until skin is golden brown, juices run clear and chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on the size of the chicken.
6. Remove from oven and allow chicken to rest for 10 min. before serving.







No comments:

Post a Comment