Email

GrabaforkNY@gmail.com

Monday, November 12, 2012

Soba Pad Thai



I had recently attended the Chocolate Show at the Metropolitan Pavilion (post on that to come) and after consuming my weight in samples of chocolate, I decided I needed to change up the flavors a bit, so I headed over to the Peanut Butter Company station to try out some peanut butter. I fell in love with their spicy peanut butter and professed to anyone who would listen that I must cook with this fiery butter ASAP (no one really seemed to care). As many of you know I love to create healthier version of the dishes I love. I decided this would be a perfect time to tackle Pad Thai. I switched up the traditional rice noodles for the buckwheat option, which has almost half the calories. Feel free to add some extra nuttiness and top with chopped peanuts.


8 oz soba noodles, cooked according to box instructions
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp corn starch
1 lb boneless skinless chicken cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup sliced green peppers
2 T chopped scallions
1/4 cup spicy peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter Company 'The Heat Is On") * if you do not have spicy peanut butter combine regular peanut butter with 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper)
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey


1. In a bowl combine garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and corn starch. Add chicken and toss to coach evenly.

2. In a large pan (or wok) heat 1 tbsp oil to medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown but slightly under done, about 3 min. Remove from pan and set aside.

3. Heat remaining tbsp oil in same pan. Add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent, about 3 min. Add peppers and scallion, saute an additional 5 min.

4. In a small bowl combine peanut butter, chicken stock, hoisin, soy and honey. Stir to combine well. Add peanut butter mixture to pan. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 5 min. * If sauce gets too thick add a few tbsp of soba noodle cooking water.

5. Add chicken and noodles and simmer an addition 3-4 minutes until chicken is cooked through and noodles are warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment