Email

GrabaforkNY@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Holiday Eating Choices That Make You Feel Slightly Healthier

(Photo Credit to my dad on his gorgeous turkey from 2010)

As the holidays approach and the red mark on my stomach from my "pants shrinking" gets a little bit worse, I try to prep myself for the eating frenzy that is on the horizon. There are tons of articles being posted for the best holiday recipes; sweet potato pie, sausage stuffing, deep fried turkey..the usual. There are also just as many articles about "healthy" holiday meals and swaps. I really don't like using healthy and holiday in the same sentence. This is my time! My time to stuff my face and switch my pants multiple times in one meal and not have one ounce of care. However, as I get older, I do try to lean a bit more toward the "better for you" options. I have begun to realize that my past theory of "eat an extra helping of spinach so it cancels out the marshmallow topped sweet potatoes" doesn't really do the trick.

Self Magazine has a great slide show of some healthy options and easy swaps to make. I thought I would add some of mine to the list-- Here is my Top 5 list of slightly healthier ways to approach Thanksgiving dinner:

  1. Alcohol- What's a holiday with out it! Instead of guzzling mugs of spiked cider (which can run up to 200 calories a glass) stick with clear alcohols wine. You can even try a mulled wine by warming (not boiling) red wine, cinnamon, orange peel, clove and a bit of agave nectar in a saucepan for 10 min.
  2. Eat Your Greens! Go for the dishes that are packed with dark greens, the darker the better! They are filled with nutrition and essential vitamins. Making a holiday salad? Swap out iceberg or romaine for some kale or red leaf, top it with goat cheese and dried cranberries for a creamy, tart mix.
  3. Skip The Dips. There is so much delicious food awaiting you, no need to nibble on chips and dip. Just a tablespoon of your classic dish can run over 100 calories.
  4. Portion Control (the hardest one of all). Our eyes are always bigger than our stomachs. Instead of filling your plate with a dish, eating it, then moving on to the next, try looking at your plate like a grid. Take a small amount of a few things on your plate. If you are still hungry go back for a bit more of the one or two that you liked best.
  5. Like the song says.. walk it out!  Instead of passing out immediately from a triptophane coma, take a walk around the block and allow yourself to digest.
Hope these tips help you throughout this holiday season.  Happy feasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment