Email

GrabaforkNY@gmail.com

Monday, October 8, 2012

Creamy Carrot-Ginger Soup



Ok I lied, this is not just Carrot-Ginger soup, it's Carrot-Ginger-Butternut Squash soup, but that just seemed too long to write.

As I begin to ease myself into the realization that it is no longer summer, the only thing that comforts me is knowing that my second favorite season is on the horizon -- Soup Season! As a child my mom used to call me a "soupaholic", mainly because it was the only other food I would eat aside from chicken and pasta. I just couldn't get a enough of the stuff! This is a great soup to transition into the chilly weather. It is warm and creamy, yet still light enough that you won't want to hibernate on the couch all night long.


Ingredients:
1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onions (3 oz)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb carrots, peeled and diced
1 2-inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced
4 cups chicken broth plus extra for thinning out
2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. On a sheetray toss butternut squash with 1 tbsp olive oil and roast until squash is soft, 20 min.
2. In a large pot heat remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions become translucent, 4-5 min.

3. Add carrots, ginger, squash, chicken broth and cumin. Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are tender, 20-25 min.
4. With a blender or hand immersion blender, puree soup until smooth and creamy. If soup becomes too thick, thin out with chicken broth until you reach desire consistancy.

5. Add your favorite garnish (I used candied peanuts).

No comments:

Post a Comment