Email

GrabaforkNY@gmail.com

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Strawberry & Cream


I have never been a big fan of fruity desserts. If it is not chocolate, filled with chocolate, or topped with chocolate, it is not for me. However, I have recently found myself cheating on my beloved chocolate and expanding my horizons (yes I do feel guilty--I'm sorry chocolate!). The tart and sweet flavors brought together by strawberries and lightly sweetened whipped cream is a satisfaction I never knew I could love. Although chocolate may still be my first choice when ordering dessert, I will now make sure I read all of the options (or I will just order two desserts).

I decided to attempt this confection as my boyfriend not so subtly dropped hints that he loves strawberry shortcake. Instead of making a typical short cake I decided to use a basic yellow cake recipe simply topped with fresh whipped cream and macerated strawberries.

Strawberries:
1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup sugar


Yellow Cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Whipped Cream:
2 cups cold heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar

1. Heat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 round 9-inch cake pans. In a small bowl combine strawberries and sugar. Toss to coat all strawberries.

2. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 min. Add eggs, beating after each addition until fully incorporated. Beat in flour, lemon juice, zest, salt and baking powder. Lastly, mix in milk and vanilla. Beat together for 3 min.
3. Pour mixture evenly amongst the 2 cake pans. Bake until cake springs back when lightly touched, 30 min.


4. In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk heavy cream until still peaks form, 4 min. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and whisk until combined.


5. Once cakes have cooled top one cake later with half of the whipped cream followed by half of the strawberries. Top with the second cake and repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment